Every year the nautical preppy style returns. It’s a sure sign of spring and can last through the patriotic weekends of summer. Our very 1st Dapper Guide was all about nautical style. Follow our tumblr and facebook for more nautical style inspiration.
This is a list of what creates a nautical style. These are the basics.
- The colors are always based in white, navy and red. Sometimes you can use a bright yellow or orange.
- Jeans are a great base for the style. You can also use color pants like red or blue.
- White pants are a classic with this style but usually more for the summer.
- Horizontal stripes always give the nod to nautical. They are usually navy stripes over a white background.
- Lightweight hoodie jackets are common because it isn’t exactly warm out yet.
- Shoes on deck are like Sperry Topsiders or Sebago deck shoes. Try adding a pop of color with shoes.
- Socks aren’t needed for nautical.
- Dressed up nautical means adding a classic navy blazer (with the gold buttons).
- Look for nautical details like ties with anchors, bracelets with rope or fish hooks, pocket squares with stripes or socks with boats.