We talked with Ukrainian male model Dima Gornovskyi about his career and style. He has an exciting year ahead as he starts working with his agencies in Italy, Germany and Miami. He told us that the best part of modeling is working with teams of creative people that provide results better than he ever expects.
The Dapper Style: Where are you from and where do you live now?
Dima: I am from Kyiv, Ukraine, and I live in Los Angeles, California, since March 2014.
The Dapper Style: How long have you been modeling?
Dima: It’s been 6 years – I started in 2009. My full time modeling career took off in January 2015 when I signed to Wilhelmina Los Angeles.
The Dapper Style: What has been your favorite shoot and favorite location?
Dima: I love shooting and most of my work leaves me with really good memories. But my favorite shoot happened in March 2011. It was an epic project with 7 or 8 models for a Ukrainian Fashion Week opening exhibition shot at a private airdrome. The temperature inside the hangar was about 30 degrees, and we shot upcoming spring-summer collections on freezing cold steel planes until 2 am. Every shot took about an hour and a half to get perfectly done, but the pictures came out beautiful.
The Dapper Style: What is your personal clothing style?
Dima: Due to work, most of the time I’m wearing one of my uniforms: workout clothes or simple all-black for castings. Otherwise I do denim, button down shirts and flannels, sweaters, leather boots and sneakers. I have a big collection of snapbacks and I wear them every day.
The Dapper Style: What is your favorite cocktail?
Dima: I am a tequila boy, hahaha =) Definitely margarita.
The Dapper Style: What advice do you have for upcoming models?
1. Find an agency.
2. Workout at least 4 times a week and take care of yourself.
3. Use your Instagram to put your best foot forward.
4. Shoot a lot, preferably with good and different photographers.
5. Be nice, polite and professional. Half of your success depends of how easy you are to work with.
The Dapper Style: What are the 5 things you have to have with you when you travel?
1. My phone and my laptop if I’m going for longer than a day.
2. My portfolio and comp cards. You never know when you need to show your work.
3. A travel bag with toiletries and hair products.
4. Fresh t-shirt, underwear and a pair of socks.
5. A book. I mostly get to read while traveling.